[linux-audio-user] preferred motherboards ?

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Jan 29 06:00:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 04:19, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:25:23 -0600, Rick Taylor wrote:

> > Peronally, I've had nothing but good luck with both of mine...
> >
> > It looks like most of the software out here is Intel oriented...
> > Demudi's low latency kernel comes in intel and... intel, and I've had
> > really good luck with linux on half a dozen or so intel machines...
>
> Athlon's can run i686 kernels with no problems, I've only noticed very
> marginal performace improvements when building athlon specific binaries over
> generic i686, even in very float heavy code.
>
> I'm /very/ happy with my Athlon, its float mangling / $ is amazing. OTOH
> if you want dual CPU I'd go with PIII.

 I built the k7 kernel that Debian have up. I didn't notice a huge
difference. Things did run slightly smoother. Right now I'm running the
Demudi intel kernel. It seems fine. I don't know all that much about
them. :} I figure I'm lucky if the machine boots after I rebuild one.
It's nice that the Demudi folk have taken the time to do the low latency
stuff for folk like myself that really just don't want to mess with it.

> I've no experience of PIV's yet.

 I've used them with 2000. Athlons are cheaper, easier to upgrade and
seem just as capable to me.