[linux-audio-user] preferred motherboards ?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Wed Jan 29 06:40:01 EST 2003

Steve Harris wrote:
> I'm /very/ happy with my Athlon, its float mangling / $ is amazing.
> OTOH if you want dual CPU I'd go with PIII.

Dual-PIII seems to work out quite a bit more expensive than dual-
Athlon.  I have a dual Athlon on an MSI motherboard and it works
very well -- I previously had a dual-Celeron Abit motherboard
which was nothing like as reliable (tolerable, but not faultless).
The MSI board seems better put together, too.

But it may be excessively hard to cool two Athlons quietly
enough for a recording environment.  My machine is pretty noisy
and I don't know whether there'd be enough headroom to install
a much quieter cooling system.

Chris