[linux-audio-user] Dedicated Digital Audio Workstation

Alexandre Prokoudine avp at altlinux.ru
Wed Jan 29 10:32:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:48:03 -0600
Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to put together a dedicated DAW for the recording of
> sermons. From that recording I will produce cassettes, cds, mp3 and
> ogg/speek (as hardware support comes).
>
> I am totally uneducated as to what is best for such.
>
> Hardware:
>
> I am currently looking at picking up used rackmount unit (4U) for this
> machine.
>
> How much processor is desired/required for this task?
> PII, PIII, P4/Athlon.

P4/Athlon

> Are dual systems (PII,PIII) desireable?

To my private point of view, yes

> I will buy plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

I would recommend SCSI or USB 2.0 harddrives

> Any preference in soundcards?

As usual:
Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496
RME Hammerfall (any)

Mark K. could say more as he's really familiar with those devices,
especially RME.

Take a look at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

> Anything else?

brave heart :)

Give a chance to Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) and
Sweep (http://sweep.sourceforge.net/)

> I will be connecting this to a rackmounted cassette deck, a mixer, etc.
>
> I currently use Debian (Sid) for my home machine.
> If that makes any difference.

Oh, it does. In Debian unstable there should be some good
applications already, which you can install using "native" APT :)

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team
JID: prokoudine at jabber.org