[linux-audio-user] alsa +laptop +performance

Roger Williams raw at qux.com
Wed Jan 29 18:18:00 EST 2003

  > I am looking to install alsa on a laptop along with something for
  > more reasonable sound such as a Roland ua-20...  So far I have
  > heard that alsa does not work, only oss, and that the latency that
  > can be expected with such a set up is worth neglect.

Although I don't have much experience with the usb-audio module, the
details at alsa-project.org indicate that it's well beyond the
limitations you mention. However, I _can_ speak to the fact that ALSA
is certainly capable of very good low-latency performance on a laptop.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=Edirol&card=UA-20&chip=&module=usb-audio

_I've_ been getting excellent results using the RME Hammerfall DSP
(Cardbus interface) for live multitrack recording with ALSA, a patched
low-latency kernel, JACK, and ecasound or Ardour.

--
Roger Williams <raw at qux.com>
Qux Tool & Die, Middleborough, Massachusetts