[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 29 18:51:00 EST 2003

> > > PlanetCCRMA is a great idea and a great tool, but its rpms are quite
> > > generic, so you may have problems if they are dynamically linked
> > > to old libraries (glibc most notably).  That's why it's best to
> > > use rpms designed specifically for your distro AND your version of
> > > that distro.
> >
> > Regarding dynamic linking, I don't quite see what the problem might be.
> > Maybe you are not aware that Planet CCRMA rpms currently come in three
> > "flavors", 7.2, 7,3 and 8.0, each one being a separate repository.
>
> I wasn't saying that dynamic linking is bad.

I think the thread was perhaps misinterpreted, nobody suggested (AFAIK)
using the Planet CCRMA binary rpms outside a RedHat environment. The
original poster merely mentioned that he was using Planet CCRMA because
of its use of apt for dependency resolution. Mandrake's answer to that
is, I believe, urpmi.

I don't know much about urpmi. Is it similar to apt? Can a urpmi
repository (or the equivalent service) be created by anyone, like in
apt? What network protocol does it use? Is it possible to create iso
cdroms with extra packages that interact with urpmi (so that things get
pulled from the cdrom instead of the net if a cdrom is available)?

> PlanetCCRMA is a really great tool, and most of its rpms should run on
> most distros.

That is very optimistic (the part about having them running on other
distros, of course :-), I don't think they would (or should). I would
not recommend doing that, at most if the other distro does not have what
you need you could rebuild from the src.rpm.

>  However, Mandrake users shouldn't need them, since we
> (volunteers) spend countless hours providing current rpms that work
> flawlessly (almost) because they are specifically designed for the
> current version of Mandrake, and include goodies like extra
> documentation, menu entries, MIME types, and easy rebuilding.

Of course!

But I think all the exact same things can be said of the Planet CCRMA
rpms :-) They are specifically designed for the supported versions of
RedHat, and they do include extra documentation (when available and/or
when I am aware of it), menu entries and assorted goodies :-) And of
course source rpms are available so it is easy to rebuild them as well,
or so I hope...

-- Fernando