[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 29 19:01:01 EST 2003

> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> advice.  If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> questions you can.  Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> distribution on the planet...
>
> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

[note: maybe all of this already exists in Mandrake...]

Not really applications but core support, here it goes anyway, I would
consider very important to have a recent kernel with the full low
latency / preemptible patches applied, capabilities enabled (so that you
can use jackstart or givertcap to start apps with SCHED_FIFO priority as
a non-root user) and most probably also with a very recent acpi patch
(some laptops will not even boot with the default acpi kernel support).

Almost as important would be an easily upgraded alsa subsystem that is
not built into the kernel rpms. Alsa is moving very fast and it should
be easy to upgrade it independently of the kernel (again, maybe this is
all already there).

-- Fernando