[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Austin Acton aacton at YorkU.CA
Wed Jan 29 20:18:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 19:52, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I think that those of us using the Planet did not, and still do not,
> understand this statement, especially the first line. In the context of
> this discussion ("Why not Mandrake?" and because I am a user who knows
> nothing, I wanted to understand if Mandrake has a better technology than
> Redhat. If rpmi/urmpi (hope I have that right) solves problems that rpm
> -Uvh doesn't, then I'm interested in that.

On question one:
The confusion is that I was implying that NON-RedHat users may have
problems with the Planet, and I didn't clearly state that.  Sorry.  They
may have old libraries, old versions of rpm, etc.  Of course RedHat
users won't have this problem.

On question two:
Urpmi's sole purpose is to do the things that apt does (but better), and
rpm -Uvh doesn't (but should).  We've had urpmi for years!  I'm
surprised so few people have heard of it.

Glad the confusion is over as I had NO intent to disrespect RedHat,
Fernando, or PlanetCCRMA.

Austin
--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant