[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Wed Jan 29 22:21:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 17:07, Austin Acton wrote:

> On question one:
> The confusion is that I was implying that NON-RedHat users may have
> problems with the Planet, and I didn't clearly state that.  Sorry.  They
> may have old libraries, old versions of rpm, etc.  Of course RedHat
> users won't have this problem.

OK, but the Planet is _specifically_ for Redhat users. Says so on the
first page. I don't get why in the world would a Suse person go there?
Anyway, that's solved.

> On question two:
> Urpmi's sole purpose is to do the things that apt does (but better), and
> rpm -Uvh doesn't (but should).  We've had urpmi for years!  I'm
> surprised so few people have heard of it.

So I'm interested. Is there a good page to look at on Urpmi's? The
Planet has turned my on to apt, and through that Synaptic which is very
easy to use and shows you everything that's available. (And the
dependencies.

> Glad the confusion is over as I had NO intent to disrespect RedHat,
> Fernando, or PlanetCCRMA.

Me too! And I was sure it wasn't disrespect anyway. Just confusion.