[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Alexandre Prokoudine avp at altlinux.ru
Thu Jan 30 03:57:00 EST 2003

On 29 Jan 2003 20:07:27 -0500
Austin Acton <aacton at YorkU.CA> wrote:

> On question two:
> Urpmi's sole purpose is to do the things that apt does (but better), and
> rpm -Uvh doesn't (but should).  We've had urpmi for years!  I'm
> surprised so few people have heard of it.

Well, as well as I remember, urpmi works good for "usual"
distributions, but not for package repositories. Of course, if you
use CDs only in order to install something, urpmi will work fine.
But if you are to upgrade your system from a package repository or
remove lots of files with one command and not one by one, then APT
seems to work better. This is why urpmi and APT seem to have
different purposes - I think so, because I've used both many times.
Again, tell me if I'm wrong :-)

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team