[linux-audio-user] problem with snd

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 29 22:45:01 EST 2003

> Using the current Planet CCRMA rpms on a RedHat 8.0 system running ALSA,
> lowlat kernel, etc.  I get the following error when trying to execute
> the graphical snd linked to openmotif:
>
> Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Segmentation fault

Strange... Could you take a look at /etc/X11/XF86config? In my machine I
have a 'Load "glx"' in the "Modules" Section. To see what is happening
look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Here it loads:
  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libgl.a

Maybe at some point you tried the Nvidia drivers? And some configuration
file was left pointing to them?

> Snd and its tools work fine at the console, but this gui problem has me
> stumped.  My Dell 410 Workstation has the NVIDIA/TNT2 video chipset but
> I am running the distro's XFree86 driver not the chipmaker's accelerated
> one.  I'm assuming this NV-GLX in the error message is in reference to a
> video configuration problem.

It would seem so. Snd needs OpenGL for the frequency domain waterfall
plots. The current Planet CCRMA build enables gl support so you need
that to be able to run snd.

-- Fernando