[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

Anthony Perez-Miller aperezmi at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 30 01:20:01 EST 2003

Greetings,

Recently I picked up Peter Gabriel's _Up_ disc.  In the fine print on the
outside of the case it says "This is an enhanced CD.  Please put it in
your computer."

Of course, the finer print inside says that by "computer" they mean a PC
or a Mac.  My linux box won't recognize the executable to play the durn
thing: it's encoded so that on a CD-ROM the tracks can't be accessed
directly.

Two questions:

1)  Is there a linux utility that can deal with such?

2)  (Somewhat off-topic for this list)  I'm presuming the answer to 1) is
"no."  If this is the case:  When I boot up the Windows side of my
(dual-boot) system, and put in the disc, the executable brings up a menu
one option of which is "play."  If I click on this it starts the generic
Windows CD player, which is of course useless for, well, turning the songs
into ogg files.
	How would I set up a symbolic link in Windows, so that a call for
the generic CD player brings up, say, musicmatch?  I can usually deal with
these things in linux but I'm not very confident messing things around in
Windows.

I know Micro$oft products aren't the usual topic of discussion on this
list; I promise not to make a habit of these sorts of questions.

Thanks!

--Anthony