[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

Alexandre Prokoudine avp at altlinux.ru
Thu Jan 30 03:25:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:12:38 -0500 (EST)
Anthony Perez-Miller <aperezmi at indiana.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Recently I picked up Peter Gabriel's _Up_ disc.  In the fine print on the
> outside of the case it says "This is an enhanced CD.  Please put it in
> your computer."
>
> Of course, the finer print inside says that by "computer" they mean a PC
> or a Mac.  My linux box won't recognize the executable to play the durn
> thing: it's encoded so that on a CD-ROM the tracks can't be accessed
> directly.

Well, this is the common problem of Peter Gabriel's 'Up' and 'OvO'
and Yes's 'The Ladder' and many others :-)

> Two questions:
>
> 1)  Is there a linux utility that can deal with such?

You will never believe - it's called "mount" :-)

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Assuming there can be some _Windows_ executable file, try run it
with WINE.

--
Alexandre Prokoudine
ALT Linux Documentation Team