[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 03:46:47 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:12:38AM -0500, Anthony Perez-Miller wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Recently I picked up Peter Gabriel's _Up_ disc.  In the fine print on the
> outside of the case it says "This is an enhanced CD.  Please put it in
> your computer."
>
> Of course, the finer print inside says that by "computer" they mean a PC
> or a Mac.  My linux box won't recognize the executable to play the durn
> thing:

That's inexcusable. It's perfectly possible to put information on a CD in
the form of a web site and the music in the form of MP3 files (or ogg,
preferably both so everybody's happy) and let the system decide how to play
tham.

> 1)  Is there a linux utility that can deal with such?

I presume it's got wimdows executables on it. Is WINE any help?

> 	How would I set up a symbolic link in Windows, so that a call for
> the generic CD player brings up, say, musicmatch?

You can associate a progame with a file type (extension)...
Open any folder in windows, select "Folder Option" from the "Views" menu,
click the "File Types" Tab, create a type for the extension on the file
name, and specify a default action to "Open" files, and other actions (if
you want) which apear on the right-click pop-up menu.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444