[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Thu Jan 30 07:31:00 EST 2003

Luke Yelavich wrote:

>> > Do you know of any I can look into?
>

> Probably not all of them are GPL, but have you looked at
> http://www.hammersound.net which is a great soundfont resource.
>
> On that note, what does everybody use to play their soundfonts? I am
> interested in those who use soundfonts without a creative card. What are
> your experiences?

Up until recently I've been using sb-live and before that awe cards...

Now I'm in the process of switching to using only iiwusynth, both muse
and jack:ed version.

The fundamental reason for switching to a software based synth is
CONTROL! Using iiwusynth I can route the audio data back into the
application and actually have control of what happens to the audio data,
what I hear is what will end up in the downmix. It's so much easier to
add fx to it also.

I find iiwusynth to work very good for such a young project. Not all
soundfonts work but mostly they sound as they should (or as I think they
should). A long long time ago I did try timidity...I can't put my finger
on why... but I never liked it much. It's probably a viable option also...

/Robert