[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Thu Jan 30 07:45:01 EST 2003

Great

Austin Acton wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> advice.  If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> questions you can.  Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> distribution on the planet...
>
> 1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> #1 complaint?
I'm a long time user of Mandrake... Mandrake has a reputation of always
putting in the latest and greatest of all applications. For me this is
quite okay, it's one of the reasons I like it.
But it comes with a price, sometimes the apps are not the most stable
versions...
It's a hard to solve problem, on the one hand I like having the lastest,
on the otherhand I would like everything to be rock solid ;)....

> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?
>
> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

Oh, pretty much complete list :).... oh... I gotta think of
something....pain....
amSynth
rtsynth
SpiralSynthModular
preferably with both jack and normal versions if that is needed.

Also Ardour, but it's hard to provide a stable version of that... also
not preferable as of yet. I think ardour -test releases- are available
through the club anyway (and rpm.nyvalls.se) os it isn't much of an issue.

> 4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> players/encoders)

Lowlatency kernel, not an application, but it's essential. As has also
been mentioned, "capability" support (some patch or script, yes?) would
also be very good to provide means for people to run realtime
applications without needing to become root (realtime capabilty is
essential for audio work)

As for applications, I'm quite content with MusE.