[linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

tim@glastonburymusic tim at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 07:20:00 EST 2003

I think you all know what Austin wrote originally by now
I'm an almost total newbie, so I'm mostly lurking & learning
but I would like to respond to one Q
> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?

ahem, I'm running a VERY low src system that I cobbled together out of bits.
The combination of supermount bug and unwieldy kernel caused me to turn off
my computer for a week feeling very sad and send off for debian (woody).
I mention this only because everybody goes on about how good mandrake is for
newbies (and debian isn't). I have not found this to be the case.
It's true that I am now struggling with trying to get my external midi port
to work, but getting the initial system to do something recognisable was far
easier with debian.
Just thought I'd mention it.
woody ships with Rosegarden2.1, I am glad to discover it's not anything like
the latest version, I was beginning to wonder ...
Methinks I will be using the next few hours to install Rosegarden4 :~]

tim hall
"We are the meek and we want ear candy, NOW!"