[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

iriXx m at irixx.org
Thu Jan 30 10:02:00 EST 2003

Darren Landrum wrote:
>> well sadly Peter Gabriel has gone the way of being one of the big
>> supporters of DRM and 'corrupt' CDs... discs with copy-prevention
>> technology... 'Up' was promoted with the release of windoze media
>> player  9 which is their latest effort in spyware-enabled locked down
>> audio :-(....
>>
>> m~
>

> So, I've been buying up every Gabriel-era Genesis CD, and he thinks I'm
> a pirate?

if you share them with your friends or make personal backups, yup...

> It makes me wonder what other famous and tech-savvy musicians, like Alan
> Parsons or Todd Rundgren, think of things like DRM.

thats an interesting one... opinion is divided as far as i have read...
Apple seems to be avoiding DRM for now, so apple-based musicians are
interesting to talk to....

Sound on Sound did a scathing review of DRM from a pro-audio point of
view... i think it was the December issue.. probably online now
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/

> Sorry for the off-topic post, but I needed to get this off my chest. :-)

heh... dont worry... well, hmm, i better not comment too much since if
anyone gets me started on this topic i'll be in danger of dragging the
entire list down with OT post.... ;-)

m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

  _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email