[linux-audio-user] linux and "enhanced" CDs

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Jan 30 10:43:01 EST 2003

> > It makes me wonder what other famous and tech-savvy musicians, like Alan
> > Parsons or Todd Rundgren, think of things like DRM.

Now there's an idea for a series of interviews...

> Sound on Sound did a scathing review of DRM from a pro-audio point of
> view... i think it was the December issue.. probably online now
> http://www.sospubs.co.uk/

It was a piece on Secure Audio Path in the Cutting Edge column.

I've just submitted a much longer piece on DRM which might make it into the
March issue. It's a feature article covering hackSDMI, wma/Beale Screamer,
Liquid Audio, RealNetworks Helix DRM, Cactus Data Shield (now known as CDS),
TCPA and that thing that used to be called Palladium until MS re-branded it.
Seems they had ripped off someone else's intellectual property!

The CDS-300 system has particular implications for Linux audio users because
it's a multisession CD. It attempts to force the computer to use the Yellow
Book session, which contains DRM enabled Windows Media Player files. If I
find out I've bought one of these, it's going straight back to the shop.

Maybe musicians should state on CD labels when they are offering 100% Red Book
discs that will work on anything...

Cheers

Daniel