[linux-audio-user] i'm a graphic designer - use me! ;-)

tim tim at orford.org
Thu Jan 30 14:00:01 EST 2003

> i'd love to get back to doing more .swf based work - but i just wish i
> had Free Software tools to do it in, i dont like being forced to use
> proprietary tools to do my interactive art...

yeah swf is great in lots of ways.
Trying to use Gtk after using swf is very frustrating!

I guess you know swfs can be produced nicely from php?

unfortunately the format just has too many problems.
Despite the fact that 95% of what is produced in Flash is
annoying crap, it is very versatile, has fast rendering,
good scripting etc, but its a shame it has poor host communication.

However i do beleive that good freeform vector support in a
widget toolkit is very important. The Free approach of
course is to use Svg, which looks very promising,
but just hasnt been implemented yet:-)

there is some good stuff being produced in svg such as the
useless but *beautiful* Gnome icons. [note to self: how does
Nautilus render these?] I believe the format encourages
a nicer look than slapping up cheesy 19" rack brushed metal.

do you feel that Svg will become usable in the near future?

best regards

--
Tim Orford