[linux-audio-user] Planet CCRMA

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 31 22:19:01 EST 2003

> I've just downloaded the planet ccrma materials and I will be installing
> them over the weekend.  I'm curious about the applications contained in the
> package:
>
> 1.  Is there a way to just install everything in one swoop, or do I have to
> rpm -Uvh xxx.rpm every time on all packages?

You should use apt to install the Planet CCRMA packages as it takes care
of solving package dependencies for you. The first time you install a
package you have to do a "apt-get install package_name", after that an
"apt-get dist-upgrade" will upgrade all packages that you have installed
and have newer versions in the repository. Go through the install pages,
I think it is all pretty well explained there.

It would be fairly easy to script that ("one command install"), but for
now I think it is more useful that you can just pick what you are
interested in.

> 2.  What about packages (movie and sound players come to mind) that already
> exist in some form in a standard RH 8.0 install?  Will installing over them
> confuse the situation?

Hopefully not :-)

I don't think I have that many overlaps on RedHat 8.0, one I remember is
timidity++ (adds alsa sequencer support and nicer and bigger sound
fonts).

-- Fernando