[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Jul 2 13:24:01 EDT 2003

> I am opposed to copy protection but also opposed
> to theft of music that's supposed to be for sale.

I think - morally speaking - it depends what's on offer. If the major
labels intend to use DRM to the extent that it gives them an even
tighter grip on the distribution of human culture, then I for one
won't be upset if that system gets broken.

There's that 'theft' word again. It reminds me of the story of Sanji
and the Baker - a children's book. Sanji is found guilty of smelling
bread and cakes without paying, an aroma that rises each morning from
the baker's shop beneath his apartment. The wise old judge awards the
baker the right to hear the sound of Sanji's money as it drops into a
bowl - clink, clink! - not the money itself.

If you're talking about musicians getting paid properly - a decent,
sustainable income that's proportional to their effort and talent -
then I couldn't agree more. However, the music business doesn't have
a great history on that front...

Cheers

Daniel