[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Tracey Hytry shakti at bayarea.net
Wed Jul 2 19:08:00 EDT 2003

The other evening, when everyone was home from work, Christy asked if I knew who it was that was playing the song she liked on the radio that I had on.  I told her to go to www.kfog.com and it will say what is currently playing on their web site.

This is a common thing now, to hear something, and if we find the name of the band;  to then go look for mp3s on the net of other songs by the same group.  If we like the music and feel like listening to it again, we always go out and buy the CDs.

We value the quality of the sound we listen to around here, and the compressed stuff on the net isn't really that good anyway.  I am getting very concerned about the copy protection in CDs, where they will only play in commercial audio CD players with error correction.  I feel like someone is trying to blur what I am able to see out of my windows, because they are worried that I might take a picture.  My fear is that some of these CDs may be easily turned into junk by a little mishandling?

As an aside.

Most of our CD decks have digital outputs that we then connect to the amps.  And most of our sound cards in our computers have digital ins.  Am I missing something here?

Tracey.