[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Jul 2 19:57:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 17:55, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Most of our CD decks have digital outputs that we then connect to the amps.   > And most of our sound cards in our computers have digital ins.  Am I missing something here?

Yes.  Those CDs are damaged goods.  They won't play on your computer.
They also, usually, won't play on your CD player with digital outs.  If
the RIAA has anything to say about it DRM will be built in to all
players with digital outs so that you will not get anything
comprehensible out of the digital outs.  But, as I said before, if you
can hear it, you can copy/steal it, so these efforts are for naught.
They just cost you more money for less product.  Boycott all copy
protected CDs and return any that you mistakenly buy (as is your
right).  That's the only way to deal with it.

Jan