[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Thu Jul 3 22:56:01 EDT 2003

Hi Larry,

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:03:20PM -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:

> Hi, I'm sorry that I don't have Jan's original message still handy to reply
> to, but reading this leaves me very confused about how the ripping process
> works.
>
> For example, from the Cdparanio doc:
>
> "Cdparanoia is a Compact Disc Digital Audio (CDDA) extraction tool, commonly
> known on the net as a 'ripper'. The application is built on top of the
> Paranoia library, which is doing the real work (the Paranoia source is
> included in the cdparanoia source distribution). Like the original cdda2wav,
> cdparanoia package reads audio from the CDROM directly as data, with no
> analog step between, and writes the data to a file or pipe in WAV, AIFC or
> raw 16 bit linear PCM."
>
> So clearly this is strictly digital process. What you're describing sounds
> more like simply playing a CD in audio mode in your CD rom drive and
> recording via the analog connection to the sound card.
>
> Either I'm in the twilight zone (cursing myself that I don't get the sci-fi
> channel for the tz marathon this weekend) or there's two different meanings
> to the phrase "rip a cd".

Just my two cents, you can rip a CD in either analog or digital form.
Analog will incur some lossiness since the path is
CD-DA -> DAC -> ADC -> WAV
The ADC (analog to digital conversion) is a lossy operation.

Ripping directly from the CD is preferable since there is no ADC
involved.  But it is not necessary to get acceptable sound quality.

Programs like cdparanoia and EAC operate as digital rippers, using the
cdrom's built in mechanisms to extract the audio data directly.  There
are other programs however (such as cdsound-recorder) that will play the
disc through your CD drive's built in DAC, and record the sound through
your soundcards ADC input.  Or, you can use a standalone CD player for
the same effect.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253