[linux-audio-user] Really basic /dev/dsp question

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jul 3 23:42:20 EDT 2003

Ken Goudsward wrote:

> I am trying to set up a sound card under RedHat9
>
> Kudzu detected it as a Creative Vibra 16x PnP (CT4170)
> So that is good but my apps (primarily XMMS) are trying to use /dev/dsp
> I suppose I need to make /dev/dsp into a symlink to the new device, but
> How do I find which /dev, if any, is setup as the new card?
>
> Or is there something else I need to do?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken Goudsward

If you only have one device then it will be

	/dev/dsp0 (oss)
or
  	hw:0,0 (alsa)

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman