[linux-audio-user] Really basic /dev/dsp question

Gustavo Zamorano S. gzsuniq at cableonda.net
Fri Jul 4 01:29:00 EDT 2003

Be sure that /dev/dsp is owned by the user you logged in as.
Check if artsd is running as your sound server.
If it is running then you have to run those programs that try to open
/dev/dsp with artsdsp, like:
artsdsp play /usr/share/sounds/startup.
To play mp3 files with xmms you probably need to get the mp3 plugin for
xmms.
Or, maybe artsd is not running.  Go to preferences -> Sound -> Sound
server and enable it.

You can also use other sound servers as well.
GZS

--
This Message is sent from my Red Hat 8.0 Linux server

       .-.
     .-. |                    Gustavo Zamorano S.
   .-. | |                    Unique Computer Operations, S. A.(UNICOPSA)
   |       \=/ /|| `---'      P.O. Box 872150, Zona 7
    \      ___//  \           Panama, Republica de Panama
     \____/   (`__')          mailto:gzsuniq at cableonda.net