[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Fri Jul 4 04:50:01 EDT 2003

On Thursday 03 July 2003 22:43, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Programs like cdparanoia and EAC operate as digital rippers, using the
> cdrom's built in mechanisms to extract the audio data directly.  There
> are other programs however (such as cdsound-recorder) that will play the
> disc through your CD drive's built in DAC, and record the sound through
> your soundcards ADC input.  Or, you can use a standalone CD player for
> the same effect.

Wow. They do this using that unsheilded wire on a ribbon cable that goes from
the CD rom drive to the sound card? I never bothered connecting the two on
any of my PCs,  because if I wanted to play audio CD's, I certainly would
want to do it on my seperate stereo system, and not from a noisy PC.

Has anyone on this list actually made serious use of a CD-rom to soundcard
analog connection? The idea sounds stupid to me, but maybe the noise issue
isn't nearly as bad as I think it would be.

Larry