[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Jul 4 09:16:00 EDT 2003

> >>Passing it off as 'new' to people who aren't
> >>familiar with the orginals is the fault of marketing and media
> >> types rather than musicians, in my experience.
>
> actually its an age-old tradition that goes back to the mediaeval
> period and probably further back into world and folk music...

Surely in a folk tradition there's an assumption that music is passed
on from generation to generation? Musicians' egos aside, I've seen a
greater emphasis on performance than 'originality' or proprietary
authorship in that genre.

What I meant was that if you ask a musician directly, they are often
modest and ready to acknowledge influences, where as the marketing
people come up with all that 'best band in the world' or 'greatest
singer of all time' stuff.

Cheers

Daniel