[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 7 06:30:01 EDT 2003

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> However, I can't help guessing that most of this material is either a)
> released onto p2p deliberately to help build pre-launch hype or b)
> sold by someone within the industry to pirates. I think a) is much
> more likely than b) because anyone involved with b) will never work
> in the industry again.

I think, it's a mixture of b) and a). A lot of people not exactly *in*
the industry get access to releases before the actual release date.
For example journalists, who write reviews of a record (a game, a
book, ...), or the actual CD manufacturers.

Cracker or release groups just need a bit of social engineering to
have access to the CDs then. And with the increasing count of broken
CDs (using an alleged "copy protection") there sure are people who
think it a reponsibility to make "fixed" versions available.

ciao