[linux-audio-user] region coding sucks, but Linux rocks !

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Tue Jul 15 14:35:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 01:55:10PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>     How does it happen that my Linux players recognize these discs with
> no trouble ? Would a Windows or Mac player do as well ?

It could be a couple things - on one hand, I wouldn't be surprised if
the free software to access DVDs has code to work around some region
limitations.  This could be helping you.  Also, some early DVD-ROM
drives were produced before region coding became prevalent - you might
have region-free DVD hardware.

>     The VHS tape is still a problem. Our player doesn't seem to like it,
> no picture appears but we can hear the audio moving along at something
> like twice normal speed. Can anyone tell me what's up with that and if
> there's some way to fix it ? TIA !

The format for video tapes is actually different in North America.  That
tape is probably encided in the PAL format (NTSC is the name of the NA
standard).  The easy way is to buy a PAL VCR.  Someone else might have a
better solution.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.