[linux-audio-user] low latency kernel

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Jul 23 04:17:01 EDT 2003

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:
>

>>I remember leading somewhere over a year ago that the low latency patch
>>maybe was making it's way into the actual kernel, something about Linus
>>needed to approve it or something. Is this still underway?
>

> The preemptible kernel patch is now part of the 2.5/6 series. It gives
> quite good latency, so I heard. Which brings up these questions:
>
> * Who is already using a 2.5 kernel?

me.

> * How's it working? Would you recommend going 2.5?

fine. EXCEPT: DO NOT USE TAGGED COMMAND QUEUING FOR ATA DISKS !!!!!!
sorry for yelling, but this thing ate 200G worth of data....
:)
other than that, it's been quite well-behaved.

> * What is needed to use 2.5?

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes
expect to update a number of userspace tools, most notably modutils.

> * When will 2.6 come out?

when it's ready :)
you might be happy to hear that linus has released 2.6.0-test1. not that
this has any significance whatsoever. :)

--
All Members shall refrain in their international relations from
the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)