[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 08:10:01 EDT 2003

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> > For years we ran those little N1 or whatever it
> was
> > that every studio in the world used.
>
> Yamaha NS-10?

That's them.

Incidentally, while I hated the NS-10's one of my
partners was dismayed when I bought the M1Active
monitors. At the time he was a better engineer than
me--I've since hidden a suck button under the desk and
turn it on whenever I leave the room. I think he was
so accustomed to NS-10 monitors that he didn't want to
deal with learning anything new.

When we got the Mackie monitors, my partner insisted
the M1's stay in the control room and the Mackies go
into the mastering room. I wanted to print and
engineer with the Mackies.

Steve mentioned flat response, I don't know where the
Mackies land in that department. The transition from
bass to mid to high is like silk and everything is
crystal clear. At the same time the sound is very full
which causes me to really listen twice. I'm fairly
comfortable with the Mackie's now but there was a
learning period where I was nervous.

I've never listened to a pair of JR-149's. They sound
interesting, I'll have to keep an ear tuned for them.
I  like having many monitors. They all tell different
and useful stories.

ron