[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Jun 11 18:25:01 EDT 2003

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:32:15 +0200
> Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> > it does not really make a difference where you have your d/a converters.
> > monitors with spdif in don't make your studio more high-end or more
> > professional. the conversion has to take place somewhere.
>
> True, but I don't use the SPDIF stuff on my Delta1010 for much now;
> if I can use the SPDIF for the monitors, I can open up another pair
> of analog outs for my patchbay.

Sure...makes sense, as long as the converters in the monitors really sound
good. Don't forget that this pair of converters is what you'll judge
EVERYTHING by. They may not have to have the lowest signal to noise of all
your converters, but if they have bad clocking, or a clock that gets
effected (jitter) by large power surges as you go from low volume to high
volume, then all of that will show up in the sound as inaccuracy.

I think the same solution (using your s/pdif outputs) can be accomplished
whether the converters are in the monitors or are a stand alone set with a
s/pdif input. Look at Apogee for some great, and expensive, D/A converters
for the output path. (And then, like me possibly, wish you had enough money
to buy them!) ;-)