[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Wed Jun 11 19:03:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:12:42 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <mknecht at controlnet.com> wrote:
> Sure...makes sense, as long as the converters in the monitors really sound
> good. Don't forget that this pair of converters is what you'll judge
> EVERYTHING by.

True for all monitors!

> I think the same solution (using your s/pdif outputs) can be accomplished
> whether the converters are in the monitors or are a stand alone set with a
> s/pdif input. Look at Apogee for some great, and expensive, D/A converters
> for the output path. (And then, like me possibly, wish you had enough money
> to buy them!) ;-)

Exactly!  The thing that has me considering new monitors in the first
place is that my monitor amp finally gave up the ghost - it had been
amplifying for 22 years, I got my money's worth! - but now rather than
dump the money into a new amp to power my aging (and not very flat)
speakers, getting a pair of powered monitor speakers seems to be the
way to approach this.  Being able to free up outs 1&2 on the Delta just
seems like a bonus.

BTW, on the subject of mics, is anyone else a fan of the Oktava MK319's?
I find them a bit harsh for vocals, but love 'em for drum overheads and
acoustic guitar work.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com