[linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Jun 12 10:53:00 EDT 2003

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:12:42 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <mknecht at controlnet.com> wrote:
> > Sure...makes sense, as long as the converters in the monitors
> really sound
> > good. Don't forget that this pair of converters is what you'll judge
> > EVERYTHING by.
>
> True for all monitors!

I wasn't speaking about the monitors. I was speaking about the converters.
Someone (sorry I've forgotten who) suggested monitors with spdif inputs. My
point was that if the D/A is done inside the monitor, then there are other
considerations about the quality of that conversion.

Most people I know (admittedly in the Pro Tools area) that tried monitors
with spdif inputs ended up bypassing that converter and using a better
quality external converter.

Certainly, following the D/A conversion both the amp quality and the
monitors themselves are crucial.

> Exactly!  The thing that has me considering new monitors in the first
> place is that my monitor amp finally gave up the ghost - it had been
> amplifying for 22 years, I got my money's worth! - but now rather than
> dump the money into a new amp to power my aging (and not very flat)
> speakers, getting a pair of powered monitor speakers seems to be the
> way to approach this.  Being able to free up outs 1&2 on the Delta just
> seems like a bonus.

Sure, I also go digitally, using ADAT, out of my Pro Tools setup, and save
the analog I/Os for other tasks.

Should I ever have a working Linux system based on the HDSP 9652, I'll have
no analog I/Os, so I will also use one of it's ADAT interfaces the same way.

- Mark