[linux-audio-user] Quattro: part two of mail :-/

Denis de Leeuw Duarte den_ddld at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 07:25:01 EDT 2003

Well, in that respect, can you clear up something for me about your
.asoundrc file? I am not that familiar with ALSA's internals, so perhaps
this is a silly question, but here goes..

The .asoundrc comments say that quattro1 is pcm0, but what exactly is pcm0?
Is that outputs 1 and 2 viewed as a stereo card?  I also don't really
understand what all the other things are for, like quattro, q4, and q4b or
how I could do practical things like record or play on one specific
in/ouptut. Would you consider rewriting your comments in the file so they
are more understandable to those not familiar with the intricacies of
asoundrc and low level alsa stuff? It would be very helpful. Some practical
hints along these lines would be great:

"quattro1 is the physical input 1 and 2 and output 1 and 2 working as one
stereo device. It has a maximum samplerate of foo."

"To record or play a mono channel on a specific input/output using (for
example) arecord, do 'bar'"

..and something similar to explain the differences between the q4, q4b and
quattro entries. It would be great if you would want to do this, because it
would save people the time of having to grok the whole .asoundrc syntax
themselves.

Thank you for writing the thing in the first place by the way!! :-)