[linux-audio-user] Could my system be harmed by "pop"

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 16:06:01 EDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 01:16:23AM -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> When i restart my system i get a loud thump from my speakers.  I have
> Definitive Technology speakers with built in active subs.  I think the thump
> is coming from both my subs and my mid range drivers.

If by "restart"  you mean switching the power on, I'm not a bit
surprised as the output is not controlled while the power is coming up.
Normal practice in any audio setup (PA, studio) is to turn off the power
amplifier or at least turn down the volume while doing anything with the
equipment at the input end, whether it's sound cards or microphones.
It's just a good habit you have to get into.

Rebooting with the power on could also have an effect as someone has
mentioned, because of things happening while the software drivers start
up.

Whether it'll damage your speakers depends on the speakers, the
amplifier power and how often you do it.

It's not a grounding problem.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk