[linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Mon Jun 16 10:19:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:46:46PM +0700, Khadiyd Idris wrote:
> Sorry, OOT. I'm new to digital audio technology ;)
>
> I dont get it... two tracks only? Does it mean left and right channel only?
>
> So what can ardour be used for?

Recording and mastering are different.

When you're recording and mixing a song, you obviously need all these
extra tracks you've got.  ardour is a multitrack recording software that
lets you record many tracks, overdub them, apply effects, etc, etc.

Mastering is done after the final mix to avoid a phenomenon some people
call "overmixing".  If I just pass out my mix, there's a fair chance I
mixed it to sound good on my gear - and if you stick it in your car,
it'll suddenly sound all muddy and gross.  Mastering is like the art of
getting a mix to sound good anywhere.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.