[linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 15:30:01 EDT 2003

--- Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> > > I've
> > > just sent off for a book called Mastering Audio
> - the Art and the
> > > Science by Bob Katz.
> >
> > Tell us what its like.
>
> I've just had it delivered - on first glance it
> looks laid out well,
> and the content appears to be mostly about digital +
> analogue, not
> just the analogue theory like you might find in an
> old library book.
>
> If I've got a reservation it's that much of the
> hardware the book
> talks about is seriously high end proprietary stuff
> and out of my
> price range, but it looks like the pro kit alright.
> Hopefully I'll
> gain some insights that I can use with our
> relatively low-budget 100%
> software libre approach...

Reguardless of how well we emulate or fail to, the
principles of usage for the tools are similar. It
should be a helpful book. I've never read it or
anything written by Bob Katz. However, I do have some
excellent third party derived conclusions. Someone
said, that Bob Katz said, he likes applying eq to left
and right channels as seperate entities. Instinct
tells me that's a pretty bad idea.

He, Katz, said, or so it has been said that he said
that he likes using reverb during a mastering session.
I've been of the opinion that mastering engineers
don't have any business applying reverb to my mixes.
Never! Shortly after chiseling that into a rock on the
mountain, I turned a 180 when a filter killed the
dynamics of an intro that was full of tape hiss.
Reverb could have restored the sheenie shimmer. If you
know what I mean, then at least one of us does.
Hopefully I learn something once a year.

ron