[linux-audio-user] jackd, zynaddsubfx and iiwusynth

Levi Burton donburton at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 3 13:15:00 EST 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 08:28 am, Mark Knecht wrote:
[...]
> If you use qjackconnect, you'll get a GUI that will make this more obvious.
> It will show you your sound card ports and your soft synth ports. iiwusynth
> hook up automatically to playback_1 & 2, so I get sound automatically.
> ZynAddSubFx does not. You must hook it up using qjc to get sound. (Or
> possibly at the command line.)

Downloaded qjackconnect, ran it, hooked some things up and now zynaddsubfx
works with jack. (btw, zynaddsubfx absolutely rocks!)

Everything seems to be cooperating fine, except for the fact I get massive
amounts of xruns when sequencing with rosegarden.  What is odd is that the
load goes up incrementally over time, roughly about 30 seconds and its xrun
city.

I looked at jackd options, maybe someone could explain what they do for me:

 1.  -p,--period <n>     frames per period (default: 1024)
 2.  -n,--nperiods <n>   number of periods in hardware buffer (default: 2)
 3.  -H,--hwmon          use hardware monitoring, if available (default: no)
 4.  -s,--softmode       soft-mode, no xrun handling (default: off)

Also, qjackconnect constantly segfaults.  Is this common?

Another issue I ran into was my alsa drivers.  When trying to use the rc7 and
rc8, some software runs into an ioctl() problem (iiwusynth in particular).
It looks like when it opens my /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p device, that it passes a bad
argument to ioctl(), then just sits in a tight loop until I ctrl-c it.  The
problem appears to be in alsa-lib.  I reverted back to rc5 and the problem
went away.

Has anyone tried the dmix plugin thats part of alsa rc8?  This looks
interesting, but im scared if I install rc8, I will be bitten by that
alsa-lib bug again.

--
Levi Burton
http://www.puresimplicity.net/~ldb/