[linux-audio-user] dmix vs alsaplayer [was jackd, zynaddsubfx and iiwusynth]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Mar 3 13:47:01 EST 2003

Levi Burton wrote:

> Has anyone tried the dmix plugin thats part of alsa rc8?  This looks
> interesting, but im scared if I install rc8, I will be bitten by that
> alsa-lib bug again.

I was fscking around with it on Saturday. So far I have managed to use
multiple instances of aplay but other apps like alsaplayer bork at it. I
have yet to figure out why but I think I should probably submit a bug
report somewhere.

I had to remove /dev/dsp otherwise alsaplayer will use the oss drivers.

Both of these commands give the same error.

$ alsaplayer -o alsa -d "plug:'dmix:RATE=44100'" track_8.wav
$ alsaplayer -o alsa -d plug:\'dmix:SLAVE=\"hw:2,1\",RATE=44100\'
track_8.wav

--------
error on set_period_size (512)
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (125011 125012)
PERIOD_SIZE: 5513
PERIOD_BYTES: 22052
PERIODS: (2 3)
BUFFER_TIME: (371519 371520)
BUFFER_SIZE: 16384
BUFFER_BYTES: 65536
TICK_TIME: ALL
error on set_period_size (1024)
Unavailable hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 32
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: 44100
PERIOD_TIME: (125011 125012)
PERIOD_SIZE: 5513
PERIOD_BYTES: 22052
PERIODS: (2 3)
BUFFER_TIME: (371519 371520)
BUFFER_SIZE: 16384
BUFFER_BYTES: 65536
TICK_TIME: ALL
failed to configure output device...trying OSS
error opening /dev/dsp

I could not find a suitable output module on your
system. Make sure they're in "/usr/local/lib/alsaplayer/output/".
Use the -o parameter to select one.

failed to load output plugin (alsa). exitting...
--------

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman