[linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?

Roger Williams raw at qux.com
Tue Mar 4 18:26:01 EST 2003

  > Is anyone using rme multiface with the cardbus interface on a
  > linux laptop?

Yes, I've been using it with ecasound for field recording and with
ardour for mixing and editing.  (Other HDSP users are also using
ardour for tracking.)  Usually I use it with external converters
(through the ADAT inputs); but the Multiface's internal converters
really aren't too bad.

I don't use MIDI much, but it seems to work OK after some recent
patches (there's been some recent, so far unresolved, discussion on
alsa-devel about a low-incidence stuck note issue on the HDSP 9652
MIDI IN, but I don't know if this affects the HDSP/Multiface).

  > I saw a message in the alsa-doc saying that you have to downgrade
  > the firmware (in windows), is this still true?

Not any more: Paul Davis just released a patch to hdsp.c to support
rev 11 firmware, but I suspect that hasn't made it to CVS yet.

As with any real-time PC Card device, the big issue is getting the
IRQs set up the way you want: you'll have to fiddle with your BIOS to
convince it to give the HDSP interface a dedicated IRQ.  (I also had
problems with occasional huge xruns until I disabled CPU speed
switching on my mobile P3.)

--
Roger Williams <raw at qux.com>
Qux Tool & Die, Middleborough, Massachusetts