[linux-audio-user] Problem with jackd

Luke Yelavich lukethemuso at ozemail.com.au
Wed Mar 12 04:24:00 EST 2003

Hi raph
For a start, you could rewrite the .asoundrc file to reflect the type of
card you have. For example, this is what my .asoundrc file looks like, and
I am using an envy24 chipset, which uses the snd-ice1712 module.

pcm.ice1712 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.ice1712 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Then, I can launch jackd like this:

$ jackd -d alsa -d ice1712 &

Substituting ice1712 for the name of the sections defined in .asoundrc. So
you could could simply use:

$ jackd -d alsa -d myname &

going by your current .asoundrc file.

NOTE: The & afterwards makes Jackd run in the background, so you can
proceed to load a jack client, like Ardour.

Have you double-checked that the correct module for your soundcard is
loaded? Have you run alsamixer to see if the volume is turned up for the
card's outputs? It might also be good to ensure that you have no OSS sound
modules loading either.

Are you able to use the ALSA drivers with other software like xmms, or KDE
to play MP3s and the like, both through OSS emulation and ALSA itself?

hth

Regards
Luke