[linux-audio-user] GWC quits

matthew yee-king yeeking at no-future.com
Thu Mar 13 05:33:01 EST 2003

> You'll also need a good turntable and pre-amp to get the most out of
> the vinyl. When weighing up the cost, bear in mind that the
> remastering people producing official CD re-releases will probably be
> working from studio master tapes, except for very rare or old
> material.

yes, but they normally let a monkey into the studio at some point and it
changes all the eq settings and makes it more of a re-(un)mastering.
I've heard all the funkadelic records got remastered and they took the
'p' out of the p-funk.

> Personally, having looked at the time it would take to record all my
> shellac and vinyl, and allowing for the possibility that some subtle
> properties of analogue recording would be lost in the transfer, I
> decided to keep a couple of turntables around.

yeah - you'll be glad of all those lovely records when you can fit your
entire music collection onto a pea and you drop it down a drain or
something.

cheers

matthew