[linux-audio-user] GWC quits

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Mar 13 06:04:01 EST 2003

> yes, but they normally let a monkey into the studio at some point and it
> changes all the eq settings and makes it more of a re-(un)mastering.

I'm afraid you're right - a lot of CD remasters don't do justice to the
original. This would also apply to DIY transfers too, though - maybe more so.

In the case of the Mothers of Invention albums, Zappa himself supervised the
remastering - but the old vinyl still sounds better to me. The CD versions
have way too much treble for my ear.

> I've heard all the funkadelic records got remastered and they took the
> 'p' out of the p-funk.

Some of the sound that people love is an artifact of the vinyl, and not on the
studio tapes. Subjectively, some people say CD is less 'warm' than vinyl,
whatever that means. It may be to do with information above the range of
normal human hearing, which is affecting our brains in some other way.

There are also cultural values locked up in those old bits of black plastic,
which may not be satisifed by higher sample rates. Do we really want to hear
the Doors' LA Woman in 24/96 5.1 surround? You can buy it on DVD Audio now -
I guess its intended for people who don't own an old dusty copy, or even a
turntable.

Cheers

Daniel