[linux-audio-user] GWC quits

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Thu Mar 13 08:15:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:54:50 +0000
Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:
> In the case of the Mothers of Invention albums, Zappa himself supervised the
> remastering - but the old vinyl still sounds better to me. The CD versions
> have way too much treble for my ear.

This points out something I have thought about for a while now, which is
FZ's hearing and the loss of the high end.  I noticed that FZ's later records,
especially from Shiek Yerbouti onwards, had more treble that I liked (since
when it was released I was a young guy with better hearing than I have now).

This continued when he re-released his stuff on CD and remastered it; I
usually find myself rolling back the treble a bit.  I have always wondered
if this was because FZ had lost a bit more high-end in his hearing as
he got older and from all those years of loud stage amplification.

Wear those earplugs, people!!

> > I've heard all the funkadelic records got remastered and they took the
> > 'p' out of the p-funk.

I swear that some of the pfunk cds I have were taken from vinyl...

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com
    129 Petta. Lake Rd,  Saunderstown, RI 02874 - vox 401.338.9214