[linux-audio-user] GWC quits

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Mar 13 11:40:00 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:54:50AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> Some of the sound that people love is an artifact of the vinyl, and not on
> the studio tapes. Subjectively, some people say CD is less 'warm' than vinyl,
> whatever that means.  It may be to do with information above the range of
> normal human hearing, which is affecting our brains in some other way.

maybe, but it's more likely the large amount of artifacts well within
the range of human hearing :-)
e.g. stereo crosstalk; various flavors of harmonic distortion;
bass resonances caused by the turntable arm; probably other
problems that i don't even know about.

don't get me wrong, I love vinyl, I love the sound of many of my LPs.
But most if not all turntables & records have very serious
fidelity "flaws".

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com