[linux-audio-user] Devices in Audacity

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Mar 20 01:27:00 EST 2003

John Ouzts wrote:
> I just did a fresh Gentoo 1.4 install in a new machine with an RME 96/8 PAD
> card, which uses the rme96 driver. System sounds now come to my hifi system
> through the rme card, so I think the driver is loading and working.
>
> I cannot get Audacity or Ardour to record, however. Audacity works fine in the
> same machine when using the monopolist's operating system, however. Running
> on that partition, Audacity finds 11 or 12 sound devices, the 8 RME channels
> and the builtin VIA sound chip devices. Under Linux, Audacity only finds
> /dev/dsp, and sometimes not that.
>
> How do I get Audacity to see other devices, or is that my problem?
>
> John

This seems like a simple(tm) setup problem.

Can you send us the output of...

lsmod; cat /proc/asound/cards

That will give us an overview of your setup.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman