[linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?

Mark Knecht markknecht at attbi.com
Sun Mar 23 13:57:00 EST 2003

Jesse,
   I am not recommending this course of action, but really just passing
along info from the dark side. Windows NT/2000/XP uses a layer called
the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) which determines how Windows is
going to configure hardware. (Basically the motherboard chip set and AGP
only I think) When you do the install of Windows, and 'undocumented'
feature in the paperwork M$ delivers, but it is available on the web, is
that you can choose the HAL layer you want. One HAL layer does this new
IRQ munging, while another allows you to configure the MB usign the
traditional method of doing interrupts.

   If Linux does something similar, and gives you a choice, then it
would be interesting to boot one of these machines with the old style
HAL layer.

   The negative on this idea is that I am not at all sure that you are
allowed to do this, even in Windows, for an SMP machine. It may only be
allowed on UMP boxes, as there are good technical reasons for wantign to
use the IO-APIC model with SMP.

   Anyway, just info. You probably knew all of that already.

Cheers,
Mark