[linux-audio-user] Notebook for audio

DevDSP Info info at devdsp.net
Wed Mar 26 05:47:00 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm currently running Linux on a Vaio PGC (PCG?) FX 701. Avoid it -
the, uhm, rather unique layout of the motherboard makes it impossible
to run ALSA on it.

Of course, if you're going to be using an external USB soundcard, that
may not be the case, but the on board Via sound chip (which isn't too
hot anyways) causes ALSA (which you need for Ardour) to freeze the entire
machine.

take care,

matthijs de jonge
http://devdsp.net - news and resources for computer musicians
Hi Group,

I am thinking of buying a notebok or subnotebook. However I don't know
which one to get?

Here are some requirements the notebook should meet:

1. Runnable with Linux (of course!)
2. Reasonable sound support (recording and playback at least)
3. jack and adour should be able to run
4. WLAN (either build in or via PC-Card)

What notebooks do you use? What are your experiences?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

r at l.f